Sewing Strategies Part 2

Ok I’m back with the remainder of my fabric stash! There isn’t much left I promise….

Let’s get straight back to it!

Sewing Strategies Part II-5ANOTHER Tilly & the Buttons Mathilde top with some sort of very synthetic drapey fabric.

Sewing Strategies Part II-7Wikstein tank in a mustard cotton lawn.

Sewing Strategies Part II-4Polly top by By Hand London in unknown fabric (probably some sort of viscose) with a panther panel!

Sewing Strategies Part II-8Tilly & the Buttons Margot Pyjamas in cotton lawn.

Sewing Strategies Part II-2Another Charlotte Skirt – By Hand London in a black polyester crepe.

Sewing Strategies Part IIThe Jade Skirt by Paprika Patterns in a ponte Roma Jersey.

Then I have a few fabrics that I just have no idea what to use for:Sewing Strategies Part II-2 Another border panel fabric.Sewing Strategies Part II-6 A selection of African wax-esque fabric – a Christmas present from my Aunt in Mozambique.Sewing Strategies Part II-9Fairly stiff cotton covered in cute painted birds.

Any help is welcome. I particularly love the painted birds, so want to make sure I use that on something that will get plenty of wear!

<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12435177/?claim=bdrpgxbtefj”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Advertisements

Me Made May 2015

I have always observed Zoe’s Me Made May challenge with interest. As an outside observer who would love to have enough me made clothes to take part, it served as a massive source of inspiration. All those amazing clothes hand made by real people!

So this year I am diving in in order to give myself some incentive to get sewing on some of my projects. I have made the following pledge:

I, Amy of www.betwixttheknits.com, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’15. I endeavour to wear two me-made items per week for the duration of May 2015.

So that’s only eight items; I already have two wearable tops and one wearable dress. Hopefully I will have made some more items by the time May rolls around.

To learn more about Zoe’s ‘Me Made May’ challenge pop over to her brilliant blog; http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/me-made-may15-sign-up-here.html.

Wish  me luck!

B&W Coco

Hurray….one project off my list completed!

I had a lovely Easter break at home with my family; very chilled, too much food and even an Easter egg hunt! I also managed to squeeze in a bit of sewing.

Last week when I posted my ‘sewing to do list’, several of the items on the list were already cut out and ready to go. One of these was destined to be a Tilly and the Buttons Coco Top for my sister.

CocoTopNo3-4

The fabric is a ponte jersey from Fabric Godmother. The fabric is perfect for the Tilly and the Buttons Coco, I have made myself one in the same fabric, but sadly its very subject to piling.

This will be my third Coco, so it came together pretty fast, and is definitely the best of the three. I used my twin needle for the cuffs and hem and around the neck and I think I finally have the got it cracked…usually it gives me a lot of grief.

Nothing else really worth mentioning so here it is…modelled by my beautiful sister.

CocoTopNo3

and another just for kicks (because who doesn’t get their pogo stick out at Easter?).

CocoTopNo3-3

Now on with the rest of my list!

 

 

 

New bedside cabinets

We have been planning to decorate the main bedroom in our house for ages. It was a horrible two tone brown with a dado rail between the two colours and a disgusting old green carpet. So needless to say, I was dreaming about this months before we started.

I decided to go dark on the bedroom walls after seeing this on pinterest. I loved the blue/grey colour and it went beautifully with the wood. We bought a gorgeous sleigh bed last October, which lay disassembled in our spare bedroom until the room was ready. We also now have a new fitted wardrobe (which took forever and delayed the process an enormous amount). I had also found a lovely ‘tall boy’ (a tall chest of drawers), so all I needed now was the bedside tables and we would have all the furniture for the bedroom.

I began the hunt with the only real proviso being that they had to have drawers to hide all our clutter. Nothing sprang out at me at all until a hunt on pinterest (what would be do without it?) revealed this:

and this:

hodge:podge: Monday, Monday and another Rast Hack

The first picture was a firm favourite but I loved the idea of replacing one drawer with a shelf like in the second picture.

They turned out to be Ikea hacks using a Rast chest of drawers as the skeleton. The Rast looks like this:

RAST Chest of 3 drawers IKEA Made of solid wood, which is a hardwearing and warm natural material.

So using the explanation given by by the charming nest, we made our own!

Bedside Tables-5In the very blurry picture above you can see that originally I painted them a different colour – but it turned out too yellow and I abandoned it for a white.Bedside Tables-4Here you can see my (ahem) intentional mistake! I cut and stuck on the moulding all the way around the edge – but I forgot there would be skirting around the bottom…the bottom bits on both sides of both units had to be pulled off the and sides trimmed down…argh!

After a lot of work (far more than I was expecting) we got there! I love the way they turned out.

Bedside Tables-3

Bedside Tables-2

Bedside Tables-1

We mixed varnishes to try and get the top and the shelf to match the bed as far as possible – I think we did pretty well, though the wood on the bed is obviously of a much higher quality whereas the top of the bedside table is just pine.

You can also see the colour of the walls in these pics, which I was pretty worried would be too dark. It turned out great as well.

We just need to hang a few pictures and the room is complete!