From my last post we know I have patterns and fabric galore, now I need to make some clothes using those patterns and fabric! If I dive straight into the stash, I’m not going to prioritise or be at all rational, it will just be the prettiest fabric and whichever pattern comes to hand first! Also Me Made May is just around the corner. I planned to join in last year but didn’t manage it as I just didn’t have enough hand made items and no time to make any. I can’t say I am in a better situation this year so hopefully with a bit of planning and sewing, I will get to be able to at least make a reasonable pledge and stick to it! I am aware that its not really what Me Made May is about, but I don’t have a load of me made clothes lying around that I am not wearing!
With this in mind I have looked around the closet and had a think about what clothes I need and here they are:
Definitely the biggest problem area; sadly, like most people, I work more days in a week than I get to stay at home!
- I wear lots of stretchy (jersey) skirts, normally in black to keep them smarter, but I seriously need to replace what I have. Tempting to walk into H&M and buy some more for £3 each but trying to stick to my principles here! I have loads of jersey fabric and some elastic in the stash so want to make at least two of these. I have been drafting my own – to some success, but in order to have something for MMM I am going to try the Manhattan Skirt by Anna Ka Couture.
- A smart top or two wouldn’t go amiss either I have the Sarah Shirt by By Hand London and the Susie Blouse by Sew Over it. I’m not guaranteeing two shirts though as that might be pushing my luck.
- I also have an Inari T Dress in Jersey that with black tights would be pretty smart – bonus is that its partly made – just needs facings, hemming and sleeves.
Weekend/Slightly smarter than average clothes
- I had this dress from Zara years ago, black jersey dress, elasticated waist, low v.neck and gathered at the shoulders, it fell apart eventually and I miss it so much! It was casual but could look smarter with the right shoes and cardigan . I have some fabulous bamboo jersey from Ray Stitch and I’m going to finally make a Moneta Dress from Colette – I’m sure I’m the last person to make this dress! I LOVE this moneta from Cookin’ and Craftin’ – simple in the solid black but looks so chic!
- I need to replace my original Tilly and the Buttons Coco, as my old one is worn out and tired looking. I love this top (I usually make the tunic top), its smart but comfy – sooo handy!
Last but not least I want to make another Linden sweatshirt with a cowl neck like this one from baste & gather. A simple adjustment but I think it will improve the pattern for me, I always find that the neck on the Linden is too wide for me – I need to learn what adjustment to make to fix this – any help would be welcome!
So that’s the plan – lets see if I can stick to it! How about you – any Me Made May last minute(ish) sewing?