So with 8 months since my last blog post I think we can safely say that 2016 was not the year for upping my blogging quota! 2016 was a fairly productive sewing year however. It was the first time that I started to really build some confidence in my sewing. One thing I need to work on is finishing projects; not my forte! Unlike most, I really like assembling PDFs and cutting out patterns, and as soon as a new pattern catches my eye, I have downloaded it and cut it out. Problem is that it then sits there whilst the next pattern comes along and so on. Another issue I faced this year was changing body dimensions. I went on a diet programme this year and lost 3 stone. As most reading this know, making your own clothes is a fairly slow process and I didn’t want to make anything special that I was then not going to be able to fit.
Now that I feel more confident in my sewing, my plan for 2017 is to build on that and develop my skills further and improve the overall quality of the garments that I am making. I also REALLY need to work on fabric choices. Looking over my makes last year – a lot of the fails were down to poor fabric choices, fabric that looked great in my head but not in the pattern that I had chosen.
All of these fails are down to bad fabric choices:
- Moneta Dress – Colette Patterns in a lovely (but too heavy!) black bamboo jersey.
- Geometry Top – Katy & Laney in a green crepe backed satin – seams wouldn’t lie flat and I burnt a hole in one panel.
- New Look 6217 – in a far too lightweight viscose.
- Inari Tee Dress – Named Patterns in a jacquard that made me look like an extra from Star Trek.
And just a fail was:
- Southport Dress – True Bias – not worn because I should have graded down for the bodice. Still hanging onto it but not sure why.
- Moneta – a second attempt which was better but still unworn – starting to think this pattern just doesn’t suit me no matter how much I want it to.
The wins were:
- Coco – Tilly and the buttons – one for me, one for my mum – LOVE this pattern.
- Axel Skirt – Megan Neilsen x 2 – made using the aforementioned bamboo so as to not waste it!
- Hemlock Tee – Grainline Studio x 2
- Bettine Dress – Tilly and the Buttons – got plenty of wear over summer but sadly too big now.
- Silk Cami – Sew Over It x 3 – Two made for me, one for my sister -mine are too big but will be making more!
- Ogden Cami – True Bias – made for my sister and I NEED some for myself.
- Inari Tee Dress and Tee shirt – I made the inari last year in a grey ponte and it was way too big – I actually ripped it apart and re-made in a smaller size because that is how much I love this pattern/fabric combination! Also made the Tee – now sadly too big but loved it.
- Ultimate Shift Dress Top – Sew over it – great summer top
- The Gable Top – Jennifer Lauren
- Rise & Fall Turtleneck – Named Patterns (one of each) – not a fan of the boxiness of the fall one but love the rise – I see more of these in my future!
- The Molly Top – Sew Over It
- Linden sweatshirt x 2 – a staple!
- Cleo – Tilly and the Buttons in one of the aubergine needlecord kits – I love it but not sure that it really suits me – finding it hard to style but I will persist!
Not a bad list of makes and I know where I need to improve in 2017! Hope you all had a lovely Christmas/New year break, I spent it in Vigo, Spain, with family, relaxing, pottering around, drinking lots of coffee and too much wine – it’s proving seriously hard to get back to reality!